Nowhere In Particular

‘Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?’
– from the poem ‘The Summer Day’ by Mary Oliver –

~ ~ ~

Castle In The Sky

The business of bees, dizzy with industry, intoxicate me in the clover patch.

Tiny, delicate trim of blue lace flowers sing of youth and beauty

to thin, feathery spikes of uncut summer grass.

Going nowhere in particular,

I am grateful to have discovered the heart of an old rose,

just before her petals fell, her one wild and precious life spent.

Going nowhere in particular,

when clouds darken my sky,and storms threaten,

I am given

the wisdom of men who write careful words with such generosity,

no applause expected.

I build castles in the sky,

for this one wild and precious life,

and everywhere I look, I find a destination to remember.

Oil painting ‘Castle In The Sky” © 2014 Teri Flynn

About maskednative

I live in Ireland, in an extended cottage overlooking Waterford Estuary, privvy to constant changes of light on water, colour and movement, tides and people. I am anglo-Irish and although my initial intention was to live here for a year and a day, I am still here, a blow-in to these shores for the past fifteen years. There have been countless times when I wanted to run back to England with homesickness and relief, but for one reason or another, so far, it has not been possible. I surrender, the soul of Ireland has captured me, allowed a glimpse of the world behind the mask of everyday experiences, bringing forth a mixture of words and pictures from an ordinary everyday life, filled with ordinary everydayness that I offer as a celebration, to the creator of this truly wonderful planet.
This entry was posted in Life, Love and the Universe and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Nowhere In Particular

1. j.h. white says:

I’m enjoying your paintings “in blue” This one is very evocative….wonderful and inspiring

2. Reblogged this on Teacher as Transformer and commented:
    The post had me with the Mary Oliver question introducing it. What do we do with that one wild life we are given? We can build castles in the sky with it and find memorable destinations throughout.

3. I was so caught up in the simple beauty of the descriptive words which danced softly within my mind…thanks for sharing….it is a very lovely and meaningful poem! Blessings!

4. SirenaTales says:

Ah, such beauty of words and paint and emotion. Thank you for the inspiration.

• maskednative says:

Thank you, your complementary response is inspiration for my amateur art.
      Your blog looks so enticing, art, dance and poetry, wonderful. I look forward to catching up with your posts.

5. elizabeth says:

Wild right enough! Adding that one small word to the age-old question sure stirs things up. 🙂

• maskednative says:

Thank you Elizabeth, your comment is appreciated. That one word ‘wild’ certainly has stirred things up, rightly so, we need to find the wild places to remind us who we really are.

6. Love your site! The selections you offer open ones eyes and heart to a deeper understanding of the world we live in
    Thank you very much for following and opening the door to your exciting world! Eddie

Liked by 1 person

7. Geo Sans says:

treasure
    ~
    destinations
    of
    inner
    explorations

Liked by 1 person

8. maskednative says:

So many dimensions to explore.