Half-way Up The Mast

Gotheborg Sail Training Ship 2015

Gotheborg Sail Training Ship 2015

The companionship of like-minded beings,
managing ropes, sails, decks, cleaning, maintaining,
eating, sleeping, learning,
contained in a vessel of awesome proportions.

Half-way up the mast, the view is changed,
the deck below much smaller than it seemed.
Half-way up the mast, sea, sky, wind,
a single mind, a new perspective.

Photo courtesy of Richard Sibley tallshipsgallery.co.uk

About maskednative

I live in Ireland, in an extended cottage overlooking Waterford Estuary, privvy to constant changes of light on water, colour and movement, tides and people. I am anglo-Irish and although my initial intention was to live here for a year and a day, I am still here, a blow-in to these shores for the past fifteen years. There have been countless times when I wanted to run back to England with homesickness and relief, but for one reason or another, so far, it has not been possible. I surrender, the soul of Ireland has captured me, allowed a glimpse of the world behind the mask of everyday experiences, bringing forth a mixture of words and pictures from an ordinary everyday life, filled with ordinary everydayness that I offer as a celebration, to the creator of this truly wonderful planet.
This entry was posted in Life, Love and the Universe and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Half-way Up The Mast

1. Tom says:

Teri, I find this alluring in so many ways. There is a “aboveness” to all that goes on in our lives, a rising above to see what really matters, getting out of our own head and into the fresh air. What happens below is necessary of course, but it’s all part of a more glorious and life-giving reatity.

Liked by 1 person

2. maskednative says:

Tom, thank you for your insight to my words, sometimes, even though I know in my heart what I mean, it takes someone else to point it out to me. I’m always grateful for your wisdom.

Liked by 1 person

3. Richard Sibley says:

Reblogged this on Tall Ships Gallery and commented:
    From the Masked Native – Life on the Waterford estuary and the realities of sailing an 18th century Swedish East Indiaman, maybe the Gotheborg will visit Ireland one day

Liked by 1 person

4. Always a new perspective…always. Thanks, Teri, for the lovely insight.

Liked by 2 people

5. SirenaTales says:

Thank you for starting my day with an expansive and expanding piece, Teri. You refresh and inspire. Especially love how you use the spaces of our lives-a garden, a corridor, a ship and its mast, the sea-to plumb their wisdom and beauty and share with us. A practice of cultivating and shifting perpective. xo

Liked by 1 person

6. Geo Sans says:

vantage points
    ~
    different views
    of interpretation

Liked by 1 person

7. Lovely post of the joy of interconnection, a united effort and kindred spirits, juxtaposed with a shift in perspective. Two worlds are beautifully reflected.

8. Living and working on board ship needs team work. Wonderful words, and may Humanity also find Unity and a new perspective to view the word..
    Love and Blessings